Friday, June 26, 2009

I guess I got distracted.

Back in November I set out to write daily. So I lasted four days, who's counting? The title of my blog has real significance in this situation. My day to day life of work and home with Honey and the Lovie is chaotic; it distracts me from the other things that make my life whole (like regular pedicures) and some things that don't (like scrubbing the kitchen cabinets).

In the time I've been away lots has happened. The Lovie is now almost 11 months old. She crawls and giggles and smiles big to show off her two teefies. The Honey worked hard to accomplish the goal of earning his Master's degree. It arrived unceremoniously in the mail on Tuesday without the expected pomp and circumstance. Rather than don cap and gown to celebrate, we went out for ice cream. I decided to take a big step and try out a small business opportunity in the hopes of walking away from the 8-4 grind of working in a school after a year.

November to June wasn't all fun and games though. Honey and I stumbled through the grief of his mother's death as it greeted us unexpectedly from time to time. Christmas was particularly difficult for us both. The last day of the school year was tough on me too. In September I was watching Honey go back to work at the high school and my mother in-law was calling every Tuesday to sing Happy Birthday to the Lovie. But when June came, the last day of school greeted me with an article in the paper about the family friend who replaced Honey's mom in her well-respected role as a figurehead for a non-profit organization. The wind was knocked out of my sails.

Now a week later, I sit down to reflect on where I've been since November. The easy answer is to say I was distracted. The truth is I was living life. Honey and I watched Marley and Me the other night. I thought it was supposed to be a cute movie about a dog and his family. It was that, but it was also a tale about the twists and turns of life. It made me think. And it made me sit down at the laptop and start blogging again. This is important. It makes me feel good. So I will once again make a vow to myself to try to be less distracted by the chaos while I live among it, and I will do my best to share it here.

No comments: