Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Everything but the kitchen sink.

Last night I went to run the disposal in the midst of doing dishes after dinner; I heard the motor but the water wouldn't budge. Mucky, gray water slowly filled the sink. I called for Honey, who came and immediately told me to get out of the way. [What is it with guys thinking woman have no idea how to fix a house-related problem?] He harumphed and looked and ran the disposal again (which apparently is the Control, Alt, Delete of the kitchen) to no success. I could see exactly where this was going. I was going to be out of a sink for awhile.


I need the kitchen sink. The saying goes "Don't know what you have til it's gone." As I heard Honey shuffling junk under the sink, all the things I needed my sink for flashed before my eyes. A diswasher full of dishes, a counter full of Lovie's bottles, the rest of the food scraps from the disposal floating in the muck. I also realized quickly how difficult it would be to make coffee, umm I mean bottles, without a sink. Ugghhh. I knew how much Honey DID NOT want to be working on this project. He had a rare night off, only to be plunged under the counter. He did what I assume all guys did to solve a house problem. He called his dad. After his dad's idea deadended Honey suggested I call my stepfather. At this point I politely [read: rudely and with attitude] asked him to call a plumber.

I am happy to report that I am typing away to the sounds of the dishwasher. The plumber came this afternoon and $150 and one P trap later I have a functional kitchen once more. Many thanks to Honey for putting up with my crap, this and every other time, and to Neil, our lovely plumber who shows up and makes it all better.

No comments: