Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Beauty.

In my life, I've been told I am beautiful. My husband tells me almost everyday. This is usually what he says where "I love you" should go. I do consider myself an attractive person (inside and out). Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I see what the people are talking about.

Some days however, it's harder than others to agree. Like last week when I was grieving the one year anniversary of my mother in-law's death, my brother in-law's father died while waiting for a heart transplant, and my daughter was sick for five days with a fever no less than 101. Those were ugly days and I felt uglier for it. I'm not even quite sure I looked in the mirror. Just like on those mothering days that you feel have beaten you. You know the ones where you end up unshowered, covered in unknown food items, wearing dirty clothes when you pray for bedtime to come just a few minutes sooner. I certainly don't feel like a beauty queen then.

What happened tonight though, made me feel stunningly beautiful. It happens often and I always have the same reaction. Lovie and I have had this ritual since she was teeny tiny. After her bath when she's all scrunched up in her towel and we're headed to her room we pause and look in the mirror. I started this way back when because looking in the mirror always makes her smile. Here's where the beauty comes in. When I'm holding my gorgeous baby girl and she looks at me like I'm the only thing in the world that matters I feel like I am the most beautiful person in the universe. Seeing myself through my daughter's eyes is incredibly powerful. It doesn't matter to her whether I'm covered in spit up (or worse), whether or not my hair is done or I have makeup on. She just thinks I'm beautiful because I'm me. And isn't that one of the greatest feelings in the world?

No comments: