Wednesday, February 22, 2012

On Lent and giving up.

Today is the first day of Lent which usually has people scrambling around to find something to give up and a quick and dirty way to reflecting and repenting during the season. Every year people vow to give up a vice. Usually something they enjoy, but know its bad for them. Like chocolate, or potato chips. My friend Carol gave up dropping the F-bomb for Lent a few years ago. She loves the word and uses it well, but a bit too often. She, like most people, didn't last too long before she slipped and started using it again. And when she did her response was simple, "I like it." I agree. We "give up" things we enjoy because they're "bad" for us. And then as soon as Lent is over we go back to our old ways.

But really, eating chocolate or chips or uttering the phrase "un-fucking-believable" just feels good. And good in moderation isn't bad. So this year, I think if you are going to give up something that you should give up something that really IS bad for you. Like the crack pipe. (Sorry, bad joke, I've been watching too much Breaking Bad lately.) No really. Give up comparing yourself to a standard that can't be met. Give up scrutinizing yourself in the mirror. Give up self doubt. And vow that when Lent is over you won't go back to your old ways. At the New Year I decided I was going to resolve to give up some self-destructive bad habits. I have stopped: fishing for compliments (If I think I did a good job or that I look good-that's enough), I've stopped passively asking for what I want and actually ask for it, and I've tried to stop the "me too" (you know, when someone is sharing a personal story and rather than validate their feelings you say "me too" there by dismissing their comment). So far, so good. I plan to keep going during Lent and beyond too.

What bad for you thing are you giving up for Lent this year? Don't say potato chips.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hi Cora! You've won the gluten-free, dairy-free cookbook from my blog! Please email me at thegoodeatah@gmail.com so I can put you in touch with the publisher who will send you the book.