Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Me time?

Before Lovie was born, I used to think it so strange when mothers said they had no time for themselves. How could that be I wondered? They had husbands who seemed to be equal partners and good fathers. What was stopping them from devoting a part of the day to their own individual pursuits? Then I became a mom. Now I get it.

As a married, no kid lady I had it made. I could get up when I wanted, eat when I wanted, shower without of the soothing sounds of the canned music from the bouncy seat. I could even leave the house to run up the street without lugging a kid in a car seat and all her accessories. Pre-Lovie I was an alone time kinda girl. I thrived on it. My husband, Honey, understood this and accepted it. Now that she is here I find alone time is a thing of the past. Honey is a great husband and an amazing father. That being said, he has left the house with Lovie by himself 2 times total. When he is home I find it hard to leave because I value the time we have as a family so much. I end up sitting on the couch watching Lovie coo at Honey when I really should put on my sneakers and head to the gym. Or even walk upstairs and read a book. [Just an aside: no one tells you that reading anything other than baby care books is not allowed. Be forewarned.] After Lovie is asleep, rather than have quality time with Honey, or again-take time to myself, we end up half asleep catching up on DVRed TV shows.

I don't really think there is a solution to my problem. It's really not a bad problem to have. In the grand scheme of things anyway. I do need to remind myself however that I value myself as a person as much as I value my family. The mother must mother herself. To that end, tomorrow I am going chat, eat, and most importantly laugh at the monthly dinner with the girls. Lovie will be coming with me. Hey, it's a start, right?

No comments: